HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Image to ROM matching algorythm?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mgtroyas
new guy

PostSubject: Image to ROM matching algorythm?   Tue May 29, 2012 7:44 pm

I'd like to know how EO decides if an image is related to a ROM name.

The case is I have some complex named ROMs that have two matching snapshot and title images (same name) but EO isn't showing it (red cross in the columns). For instance:

Code:
Games\Accele Brid (Japan) [T-En by Aeon Genesis v1.00].zip
Snap\Accele Brid (Japan) [T-En by Aeon Genesis v1.00].png
Title\Accele Brid (Japan) [T-En by Aeon Genesis v1.00].png

In other cases, there is a snapshot and a title image with the same name than the ROM, and the snapshot is associated but the title image not:

Code:
Games\Chrono Trigger (USA) [T-En by Doctor L v1.01].zip
Snap\Chrono Trigger (USA) [T-En by Doctor L v1.01].png <-associated
Title\Chrono Trigger (USA) [T-En by Doctor L v1.01].png <- not associated

It happens with many of the files. I think its because of the complexity of the filename ("[", "]", multiple ".", etc) messes the image name parsing.

If you create a testing zip and png files in your PC with those names, you could reproduct the situation.

Thank you in advance,

Marcos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Croser
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Image to ROM matching algorythm?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"the "Take more than one image for each rom if more than one folder presented" has checked ,this option will amke EO detect more than one snap for one rom from multi folder ,ex: 1942 rom has snap file and title"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"that mean if you have some snapshots inside folder and there name close to matched rom like "mario.nes rom has mario0.pnj or marioxx.xx" ,just scan the folder and EO will try to match the rom with snap , This detector avalibe with covers too"

names of snap or cover don't need to be same as rom "mario0.pnj or marioxx.xx"
don't forgot about the check box "Take more than one image for each rom if more than one folder presented" inside snap \cover detector make EO detect more than one snap for one rom from multi folder
Hope this help
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emulator-organizer-f.freegametalk.com
mgtroyas
new guy

PostSubject: Re: Image to ROM matching algorythm?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:12 pm

So if I understood it right, "image name" will be linked if begins as "rom name". Thank you, now I have a better understanding of how the matching is done.

I have done more tests, as images and roms are named the same way (althought it isn't mandatory as you explained) and have found that depending of the order I add the different folders that contain the images, those images of one of the folders are found or not.

If I add that folder as the only folder to scan, only part of the images are found.

But if I put two folders in the list, and as third this one, all the images are found.

It's very strange. I'll continue testing to find what is the cause.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgtroyas
new guy

PostSubject: Re: Image to ROM matching algorythm?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 pm

At the end, what worked is putting the folder containing the complex named games at the top of the list, then the rest. Now all the games get all the images. No idea what is the cause, but could be a memory problem, filling at the end of the scanning proccess.

Related to the image matching: I have downloaded a videos collection for MAME, but it only contains one video per "parent game", and all clones should use it as they are mostly identical. For instance, the video "3wonders.mp4" should be used for games "3wonders.zip", "3wondersh.zip" and "3wonders.zip".

Seems in this case the "image name contains rom name" should be reversed to "rom name contains image name". The other option could be to rely on parent-clone information contained in mame DAT file. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Croser
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Image to ROM matching algorythm?   Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:29 am

when you scanfor image (cover\snap) , eo will cycle through rom one by one,pick one rom then scan the image folder then assign one image for the rom and ignore the rest of image then pick another rom scan for it's image then go to another rom.... and ofcourse name of image >=name of rom (without rom and image file extension)
if assign multi folder of images and activiate "Take more than one image for each rom" check box,the previous procedure will occure to each image folder
so if you have 1942 rom and many image for it in single folder like 1942(e).jpg,1942(j).xxx... eo will take the first match case which is 1942(e).jpg
for mame I have 145 collection the name of image match the name of rom (parent or clones) unless you missed some clone there will be no problem try to download the full snap title..extra files
renaming snap and covers from dat file is great idea ,we 'll include this feature in v 5
glad y asked and hope this clear some thing
Back to top Go down
mgtroyas
new guy

PostSubject: Re: Image to ROM matching algorythm?   Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Thank you for the explanation (now I understand why sometimes EO chooses an image different than the one I expected, not in mame which is what we are talking about here, but with amiga whdload games).

The case is I'm matching mame romset against emumovie's video collection, and this collection contains only a video per each parent game (no video for clones), to save space/bandwidth. In some other frontends there's an option called "clones use parent snapshot if specific snapshot not found" and I think that's what emumovies expects.

In this case there's no such option, and as clone's rom names are longer than parent's, EO doesn't match the video. Perhaps as DAT file is used by EO to get the real names of the roms, also could be used to maintain a parent-clone relationship so clone games could look for parent's video snapshot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Croser
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Image to ROM matching algorythm?   Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 am

you re right , and that why we re going to add detect snap from dat file,but for video and audio I guess we need some thing else,maybe an option for clone and parent ,we ll see about that after we finish the v5
Back to top Go down
mgtroyas
new guy

PostSubject: Re: Image to ROM matching algorythm?   Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:57 pm

That would be great. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Image to ROM matching algorythm?   

Back to top Go down

Image to ROM matching algorythm?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1